Pages

Monday, April 4, 2016

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher



Read: 30-31 March 2016

I was reading the book along with Gone Girl (by Gillian Flynn). I’d have to switch from to Ebook depending on my environment. And since my mode of transportation is barely conducive for reading, I’d have to resort with an Ebook from a well-lit phone.

This one is a good read. Not really excellent to recommend to whoever asks but definitely not on the bottom list as well. The writing is good, great actually. It’s very engaging and it really captures attention. It made me so absorbed that I was able to finish the book and overlooked the entirety of the plot. It made me “feel” a lot of “feels” actually. Not really hard, full-blown, bawling-my-out-eyes feels. But feels nonetheless.

Although I didn’t get to connect with one of the main characters, Hannah Baker. I just find it a little over the edge. I felt that everything was blown out of proportion. I mean, not that what people did to her was correct or even okay. It was never okay. None of those was okay. but she just let everything snowball. And I think that’s just kind of irresponsible. Just like what was said in the book: “she just wanted an excuse to kill herself”. But I’ll let you be the judge to that when you read the book.

Overall, I’d still give this a 4 out of 5 stars since I did enjoy reading it. Though it had been an emotional rollercoaster, it still have been a light and easy read. And achieving that at the same time is saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment