Pages

Friday, February 17, 2017

Book Review: Defy - LJ Shen

Defy is the second book of LJ Shen that I’ve read. A prequel to Vicious. If you haven’t read it yet, you can check my review here.  I was excited to read the prequel of the said book since I did enjoyed reading Vicious and Shen’s writing.

Defy is a lot shorter and fast-paced than Vicious. And since I read Vicious first, I kind of know where they’d end up in. I’m actually cool with that. I love witnessing how something will play out even if I know what the out come will be.

I loved how Jamie was portrayed in the story. A lot of “awwwww” moments. He may be just a boy, but at least he acts more like a man. He knows exactly what to say at the right time. On the other hand, Melody is just plain for me. Nothing really special about her. She seems to be a bit bland to me. Not really my type of heroine. Aside from her looks, I didn’t really see what’s attractive of her. there were things that actually happened to her that may have been hard to overcome, but I didn’t quite actually feel her “presence”.

The story was fun to read, but it could’ve been better. Although I had many “aww moment” with Jamie, I kind of feel that something is missing in the plot. Apart from one scene that actually showed them getting to know each other, I didn’t quite feel their “feelings” building up. One moment they were nothing more than prey and predator, the next they were madly in love with each other. But I liked what Jamie did for Melody. Something a book boyfriend would’ve done.

Overall I’d give this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I would’ve enjoyed it more if it detailed their love story more. Maybe I just wanted more of Jaime.

No comments:

Post a Comment